Enrollment and student demographic data for 2020-21 and updated information on local revenue elections.
Taken on the first Wednesday in October, Census-day enrollment data include student enrollment by grade, race/ethnicity, gender, school and district type, and more. In the Demographics section of the Student tab on Ed-Data, you can also find the unduplicated pupil counts of high-needs students used to calculate funding under California's Local Control Funding formula as well as graphs showing the number of students eligible for free/reduced-price meals, English learners and more. You can find the updated graphs for schools, districts, counties and the state as a whole. These data are also available in the school and district comparisons.
Also available on Ed-Data:
In the Financial Data tab of any school district or county office of education, you will now find updated financial reports for the 2019-20 school year. Data include revenues and expenditures, with details on how school spend their funds. To find the financial data, navigate to any school district and click the "Financial Data" tab.
For more information about the financial reports on Ed-Data, please see our help article.
Note: Because charter schools report their financials in different ways, Ed-Data does not include financial data for charter schools.
Much of the data mentioned above are also available in our school and district comparisons. Our comparison functionality allows you to:
- Compare schools or districts
- Select a specific year for comparisons and toggle between years as desired
- Select the data elements to be included in the comparison results from a list of all fields or by data category (e.g., summary, student demographic, performance, suspensions/expulsions, finance)
- Add in corresponding state or county data for elements you’ve added
- Filter results using criteria you select (e.g., show districts matching a specific data range such as enrollment between 1-500 students, or show only districts or schools within specific counties)
- Sort each data element from high to low or low to high, or sort districts/schools alphabetically
- Add specific schools or districts into the comparison (e.g., add a high-performing district or a neighboring district or school regardless of the other selection criteria used)
- Export results to Excel
- Eliminate a data element from results if you don’t need it
- “Pin” one or more districts or schools so that they are always displayed in the left-most columns of the results regardless of any sorting performed by the user – allowing you to compare districts/schools of interest with the highest or lowest values in each field
For a step-by-step “how to” directions on using the comparisons, view one of our online tutorials or see our How to Create District or School Comparisons article. Or start making your own comparisons: Compare Schools or Compare Districts.
We watching for the release of 2020-21 cumulative enrollment data including cohort graduation rates and data on suspensions and expulsions and chronic absenteeism. The pandemic disrupted data collection and reporting for the 2019-20 and 2020-21 school years. There will be no CAASPP/Smarter Balanced test results or data on chronic absenteeism for 2019-20. Please see the CDE's COVID-12 and Data Availability Page for more information.
To receive notifications when new data are added to the site, please subscribe to updates using the form provided in the site’s footer:
Let us know what you like and what we can do better by using the Contact box in the bottom right corner of any page. Or email us.